Productivity is the most beneficial factor to help businesses grow. Some changes to Salesforce Administrators’ and developers’ habits will improve and increase productivity. That is why we present the Salesforce Inspector in this article.
What is Salesforce Inspector?
View field metadata from a record detail page (Just Classic, not available in Lightning):
When located on a specific record detail page, edit page, or Visualforce page, follow these three steps to get fields details:
- Click on the show-up small tab icon of Salesforce inspector on the right side of your screen.
- Click on the “Show field metadata” button.
- Place the cursor over the field to see the field detail inside a tooltip
The tooltip shows the field information such as API name, data type, External ID, Unique, and Auto Number. If the field is a formula, it displays the formula used in that field. You can even navigate and access the field setup page from there.
View and edit all data for a record:
The “Show all data” feature is like the “View Fields” option in Force.com Quick access menu. The “View Fields” feature gives only the Field label, API Name, and data type of all fields. “Show all data” in Salesforce Inspector helps us to see the data (values) of all the fields in detail of record. The main advantage of this feature is we can view values for the fields which are not available in the page layout.
Clicking on the “Show all data” button in Salesforce Inspector will show us the list of available fields in an object with values. We can see the “Fields” & the “Relationship fields” independently.
- See data without having the field on the page layout.
- Edit data without having the field on the page layout.
- View All fields on the object, and what data they have in them currently.
- Search for field names or field labels.
- Quickly jump to the Setup for that field.
- Visualize ee the formula of that field.
- Export records easily. Exported results will be available in Excel, CSV, or JSON file formats.
- Picklist values need to be entered manually by typing in that field. Can’t able to select from the drop-down.
- Edit doesn’t work for Person Accounts.
Quickly access to user record details and access on behalf of other users with the impersonation:
when Opening the Salesforce inspector window, you follow these few steps to get user details:
- Move to the “users” tab.
- Search about the user whom we want to access the record detail (Name or Email).
- Click on the “Details” button or the “try login as” to connect on behalf of other users than the connected one.
Data management (Export/import):
‘Data Export’ helps to export records. When data export is clicked in Salesforce Inspector, it will provide a window for querying and export a record. Exported results can be copied to Excel or CSV or JSON file.
‘Data Import’ feature helps to import data into Salesforce easily. Using Data Import, we can insert, update, upsert, and delete records in Salesforce.
View limits consumption in your organization:
“Org Limits” is a feature where the Salesforce inspector helps us to view a dashboard within Org limitations. It generates a report of the usage percentage of all components in our org including data and file storage, API usage, platform events, and many other metrics.
Download Metadata is a feature that can show us all the metadata available in our organization. We can select one or multiple metadata we need to download.
The Package within metadata can be deployed to another org by using a deployment tool like ANT.
Explore the API feature that helps to view the REST API documentation of our org.
Access Home page rapidly:
Sometimes, when lost in setup pages, we want to go back to the home page but we can do it just by changing the URL. Now, with the button “Salesforce Home” we can go fast with just a click or even with a shortcut “CTRL+H“.
Salesforce Inspector extension helps us to inspect both the data and metadata directly from the Salesforce UI. No need to log in when you are already logged in with your browser. This tool comes up with plenty of features that increase productivity. It is more user-friendly for Salesforce Administrators and developers. It’s one of the best and must-have plugins available for Salesforce.